Invitation to contribute a chapter to an exponential publishing project
Fast Future Publishing plan to release a book “Anticipating 2040: Roadmap to sustainable abundance”, with printed copies available at the conference with the same name on Saturday 3rd October.
The core of the book will comprise roughly 12-15 chapters exploring how we can create abundance across different aspects of our world such as the environment, energy, health, and technology. The book will also contain a collection of short “abundance vignettes”.
The schedule for the project is as follows:
- Authors of chapters to submit complete first draft of their chapter by July 20th
- Authors of vignettes to submit their text by July 31st
- Editors will provide response to authors by August 3rd
- Authors to submit final draft by August 12th
- Formatting, preparation, publishing, and printing will take up to October 3rd
IMPORTANT: If you’re interested in contributing material to this book, please visit this Survey Monkey page.
Note that the survey page will prompt you to supply details of your planned contribution, and about yourself. Being able to fill in this information will be a good sign to the project managers that you have what it takes to be part of this project!
Objectives for the book
The goal of this book is to explore how we can go beyond current concerns about austerity, existential risk, resource shortages, and technological unemployment to create a positive future. Authors should highlight how positive human action coupled with innovation and the effective use of science and technology can create a potential roadmap to sustainable abundance by 2040.
More details about the book content
Each of the “abundance vignettes” should outline in 200-500 words:
- A vision of some aspect of sustainable abundance in 2040
- A development which could lead to sustainable abundance by 2040
- Or a scenario of what sustainable abundance across multiple domains (e.g. social , health, economy, science, technology, environment, education).
The main chapters in the book will be between 3,000 – 5,000 words in length. In order to act as a genuine roadmap, each chapter will have a similar structure, along the following lines:
- Context: relevant current issues, opportunities, challenges, emerging questions etc
- Your vision of what abundance (in your topic area) could look like in 2040
- A roadmap e.g. what needs to happen by 2020, 2030 and 2040 to get to the vision of abundance you are painting. This includes any the policy / business/ societal actions to bring it about – what people need to do to nurture that evolution
- Implications for government, business, society and individuals
- Three closing questions at the end of the chapter, to prompt further thinking by the reader.
All contributors will participate in a profit share. In return for acceptance in the book, all authors must commit to playing an active and regular role in promoting the book to their networks and contact base before and after publication.
Please note that:
- We are looking for original content and will not use anything that has already been published elsewhere
- The book is being written for a general non-futurist audience
- This is not an academic publication – we will not be including case studies or research reports
- Chapters cannot promote any products or services
- Authors are free to re-publish their articles anywhere after an elapsed time of three months from publication.
About Fast Future Publishing
Fast Future Publishing is a new specialist futures-focused publishing company bringing exponential thinking to the book development process.
Fast Future Publishing has launched FutureScapes, a series of multi-authored books exploring multiple dimensions of the future. The first book in the series – The Future of Business – was published in epub format on June 11th 2015 and in print on June 23rd.
This 566 page book contains 60 chapters created by 62 contributors from 21 countries around the world and was completed in just 19 weeks. A normal publisher would have taken 18 months to two years to complete such a project.